Wednesday, November 27, 2019

Polka dot spider

I have such great landlords! The husband turned up at my door with a fat spider in a jar for me.

Here she is, in my big spider jar (2 litres), on a Chinese lantern plant pod.

She's a Steatoda, but I don't know what species. I've kept Steatodas in the big jar before, and they did fine, but this one was not happy. In three days, she barely moved except occasionally to try to break through the glass. She wouldn't eat the food I provided: a delicious fly and two sowbugs. Previous Steatodas liked sowbugs. She didn't. Or she was sulking.

I let her out and she ran behind the flowerpots on my window sill. I haven't seen her since. I hope she's doing well.

Interesting pattern on her abdomen: stripes on top, polka dots underneath.

I searched through BugGuide's photos and couldn't find her match. And I noticed that they have identified most of these spiders down to genus level only, so I'll not send her photo in.

2 comments:

  1. Now that is a great landlord. When I was in high school I was taking a zoology class. We had to collect insects. My boyfriend and the time was in Vietnam. He airmailed me a giant waterbug. Probably it made it's way through the postal system because he used military channels. Only problem was that it was hard to convince the teacher that I had collected it. - Margy

    ReplyDelete

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger