Tuesday, January 16, 2018

First sign of spring?

Last fall, a couple of caterpillars pupated in a jar in my kitchen. I put a lid on it and hid it in a quiet corner. Yesterday morning, the jar contained a brand new butterfly.

Cabbage white butterfly, Pieris rapae. Female, because she has several spots on her forewing. Males have only one.

She's getting ready to leave.

I had to climb up into the kitchen sink to get these photos. A minute later, she'd moved on. I haven't been able to find her since, so she'll have to stay inside.

1 comment:

  1. Right now, I might be (almost!) happy to swap a cabbage white for a Eupanacra cat. They just lurve the spathiphyllum.

    ReplyDelete

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger