Monday, March 03, 2014

Bed of thorns

Another day of snow with rain for a chaser. Another day of sifting through old photos; my neck is sore, but the computer's happy.

I found these photos of a pair of weevils in the thistles beside the White Rock beach. I had intended to crop and post them in June of 2011, but procrastination won the day, and they were filed unexamined. Today they were a nice reminder of hotter, drier weather.

Wicked-looking spines. I didn't dare move in closer.

The weevil is a lighter colour than the ones I see around the house. They're mostly dark brown, sometimes almost black. This one has brown stripes, but a definite yellow tinge. And a pale yellow fringe around the tail end of his elytra.

And he had a mate waiting for him under the shade of the thistle head.

Two weevils

The male holds his mate by the shoulders and sides. Prickles be damned! This is true love!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger