Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Ladies in polka dotted sundresses

I promised you ladybugs. Here they are, from the same path as yesterday's wasps and bees:


Seven-spotted Lady Beetle, Coccinella septempunctata. An import.


Another seven-spot, on a fireweed stalk.


Harmonia axyridis

This is an eighteen-spotter, one of the many patterns of the Multicoloured Asian Lady Beetle. They're recognizable, whatever the number of spots or base colour of the wing covers, by the "W" on the pronotum. It's also an import.

I haven't seen any native ladybugs yet this year.

1 comment:

  1. I never knew the permutations of the ladybug. Your photos always lift my spirits.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger