Saturday, May 30, 2009

Such fun!

We bought a new camera yesterday, a Nikon CoolPix P90. I'm still in the process of setting it up to Laurie's and my preferences*, but I took a few quick shots of a humongous (and frantic) ant that crossed my path. I took them again with the old Olympus (SP55OUZ), for comparison.

This one is from the Olympus:

And this is from the Nikon:

The colour seems better with the new one, and it gives me more detail. And I had a better ratio of acceptable shots to lousy ones with the Nikon, too.

I think I'm going to go redo all my carpet beetle and spider photos. The other thing we're hoping for with this camera, is a better zoom on distant birds. We'll do some experiments on that, tomorrow.

*Reading manuals and doing setups is my job; I actually enjoy it.

Oh, and the ant has been set free to continue her journey.



  1. After clicking on both pics, it's easy to see how sharp and crisp the Nikon photo. Really quite spectacular.

  2. I'm quite pleased with it! A bit of learning to manipulate the controls, and I'll be eyeballing my pet spider.


If your comment is on a post older than a week, it will be held for moderation. Sorry about that, but spammers seem to love old posts!

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!