Monday, November 14, 2011

Our daily art

Something different ...

Years ago, on the narrow stone and mud steps that make up many of the “streets” of Taxco, in Mexico, I met a little girl, about 9 or 10 years old. She was sitting at the edge of one of the drier and wider steps, painting on sheets of bark paper, amate, that she kept on the step above her. Finished paintings were stored by her feet on the next step down.

She showed me her work, glowing with pleasure and pride; street scenes, as she saw them. She followed no pattern. Each painting was unique, although certain motifs were in all of them; the people she knew, doing the work she was familiar with, the flowers that overhang every roof and fill every empty corner, the blazing sun above everything.

Taxqueña's Mexico. Paint and crayon on bark.

Detail. Men with vegetables for market, straw-thatched adobe houses.

I bought one; so did the other people with me. Ten pesos I paid, if I remember correctly. I should have paid more, but that is what she asked, and I didn't bargain, at least.

Is this art? Primitive art, maybe? Some would say yes; that little girl wouldn't recognize the term. She painted. That was how she brought home money that would buy her family that day's supper. But there's no doubt but that she loved what she did, that she put her whole being into it, that it expressed the colour, bustle and beauty of her home town.

Taxco is a tourist town. Many of the roofless artisans, the ones without the funds for a shop, sell their work around the public plaza in front of the cathedral. But down towards the market under a roof made of cotton sheets and rope, down, down, down all those steep, slippery steps, where the people of the town buy their daily food, these handicrafts, these “artesanías” are needed, too. There are the clay pots, mugs and bowls; the paper hangings to celebrate family and national occasions; the baskets (I bought one of these, big enough to pack the bean and rice pots I also took home); the hand-woven rebosos; the stick and reed chairs, painted in cheerful colours; and yes, the occasional small painting to decorate the walls.

Men come to market with heavy bundles of pots on their backs, or tied onto burros dwarfed by the load. Women carry smaller loads, but all, even the children, come burdened. All of them are involved in the production of their stock. Staying alive is serious business.

Every town in Mexico has its equivalent, a handful or a small crowd of artisan/sellers with their wares spread out on boxes or cloths in some convenient place where people pass by. If you've been a tourist, you've seen them, maybe bought something pretty to take home at what seemed like a ridiculously low price.

I have a story to tell about a group of artesanos caught in one of our modern dilemmas.

To be continued, tomorrow ...

7 comments:

  1. I like the rats and the unicorn in the full painting. Thank you for sharing. Are your pictures from what you purchased? It's an incredible representation of her culture! I question whether your artist was truly 9-10 years old when making the painting you photographed. In my personal experience (unfortunately, myself included), people with poor nutrition look much younger and smaller than they actually are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this little gal did an amazing job for her age. Love it. She had her own style!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Katie,
    Yes, that is the one I bought. I think the animals are supposed to be rabbits, a pig (orange; the pigs wander freely around Taxco, and are surprisingly skinny), and a sheep (the white one with big ears that the woman is carrying to market.)

    I lived many years in Mexico, and am used to small people. I wouldn't expect a Mexican child to be nearly the size of an American or Canadian. I may have asked her her age; probably did; we talked about her family a bit.

    Eileen, yes, I was very impressed by her, so much so that it's almost 20 years ago, and I can still call up the image of her sitting there on the stones, beaming up at me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The little girls art is absolutely magnificent! Your story reminded me of two little sisters Pasqualey (not sure of the spelling)and Victoria who were about 9 or 10 also. We met them there on the beach selling their Gods Eyes made out of popsicle sticks and colourful yarn.That was probably 20yrs ago and i still think of them and their happy smiling faces especially at Christmas when i put their Gods Eyes on the tree.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I started an answer several days ago and things went a little sideways. Wayne and I used to go to Mexico quite a bit in our airplane. We liked to get to less touristy places, but everywhere you will find local artists with their wares. I remember a woman in Oaxaca walking through the plaza with a yoke over her shoulders with dozens of small hand made dolls swinging below. I bought one (probably for very little money) and it hangs in our den to this day. My favourite piece of art is a hand carved jaguar head covered in tiny beads that we found in a hotel gift shop in Colima. We had lots of fun on that trip with our small plane. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oops - it was San Blas not Colima. Colima was where we got the great mangos right off the tree in the hotel courtyard. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Margy, Mmmmm! Mangos right off the tree are so much better than Safeway mangos!

    ReplyDelete

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger