Wednesday, November 03, 2010

Heads I lose. And win.

It was a toss-up; Terra Nova on the south of the airport, or Iona Beach, on its north. We were looking for waterfowl; Laurie mentioned snow geese. I picked Iona Beach, thinking of cormorants off the jetty. Wrong choice. Not only was there not a goose to be seen, the tide was high and except for a mixed flock of ducks and coots on the far side of one lagoon, a couple of lonely crows and one long-legged wader, the place was birdless.

But there's always something ...


Quiet lagoon


Mushroom that looks like a flower. Or a hat.


Flower that looks like a butterfly.


These grow wild all over the dunes.


Shy beauty


Tiny 'shroom and moss


Wooly bear


I think this is a whimbrel.


Just leaving.

Someone will tell me now that all the geese were down at Terra Nova.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting that "flower" mushroom -- cute the shy flower!

    ReplyDelete

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger