Monday, June 22, 2009

First moth of the summer

It's been a poor spring for moths; only a few tiny, flittery meal moths have showed up so far. Until yesterday morning. This pretty moth drowned itself in my birdbath Saturday night.


Maybe a tiger moth?



Big, staring eyes and an Einstein hairdo



Neatly coiled proboscis

My granddaughter, 3 years old, got Daddy to dial the phone for her so she could tell me, in great excitement, about the green "butterfly" (actually, a moth) that they had caught. "Come and see it, abuelita!" She's keeping it in a jar for me.

Looks like the moth season is finally starting.

.

1 comment:

  1. I find water dishes to be great collectors of moths, especially when placed near lights. Not so great for the health of the moths, though, unfortunately.

    I suspect it's probably an Armyworm Moth, Mythimna unipuncta, or a related Mythimna species. It's a little worn, but these species are all fairly drab to begin with. They're also one of the groups with proboscises, and if you put out moth "goop" they're often one of the first to show up.

    ReplyDelete

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger