Sunday, March 11, 2007

Visit to the local Buddhist Temple

For some time now, I have been telling Laurie I wanted to show him a beautiful jade sculpture of the Guan-Yin (Kwan Yin) Bodhisattva, housed in the Buddhist Temple in Richmond (about 20 minutes drive for us). Last week, on a sunny spring-like day, he said, "Well, let's go."

So we did.

And I have a stack of photos to share.

A little bit about the temple, first: their website tells us ,

"To date, the Temple is the most exquisite example of traditional Chinese architecture in Canada. In many ways, it is like a piece of art straight out of the Chinese past, as it resembles any authentic temple that can be found along the banks of the Yangtze River in China, where one of the world's oldest civilizations originated.

The main focus of the exterior of the Temple is its palatial roof, which is similar in structure to that of any royal edifice within the Forbidden City of Beijing, China. The roof is covered entirely with red-orange porcelain tiles imported from China. As strikingly intriguing as the facade of the Temple is its artistic interior, which houses artifacts with superlative Chinese workmanship in sculpture, painting, carpentry and embroidery. Traditional Chinese art and culture are evident in the majestic Buddha/Bodhisattva statues, exquisite shrines, enormous silk paintings of the sixteen Arahats, and the spectacular ceramic murals."

They're not exaggerating. It was impressive the first time I saw it, some 20 years ago, and they have been constantly adding to it since then. And they haven't even mentioned the landscaping. Think Zen, think centuries of wind and water, think colour.

The jade Guan-Yin arrived sometime, if I remember correctly, in the 1980s. It was carved from a 2-ton piece of BC jade, mined in northern BC, shipped to China for the sculpting, and shipped back to the temple, where for a time it stood in a large crate outside the main hall. Then it was moved to a cubby-hole off the dining room for some time. The last time I had seen it, it was in a display stand outside the main entrance. Of all the treasures on display, this was the one I loved.

'nuff: on to some of our photos.

First, along the sides of the parking lot, on a carefully-manicured slope of lawn, we are greeted by rocks and sculptures.

A rock. I have been told the symbolism or meaning of some of the rocks here, so I am fairly confident that this one means something, too. I have no idea what.


In a small open shelter, the 16 disciples of the Buddha (arahats), each displaying his trademark characteristic. I've forgotten which 2 these are.

Another rock, just outside the shelter.

A few steps further down, protected by a slatted roof that will support flowering vines in the summer, a Guan-Yin, larger than life-sized. She often is portrayed carrying this upside-down vase, as a sign that she is sprinkling blessings on all beings.

A closer look at her.

Past the first gate now; this is one corner of the pool outside the main courtyard.

And the outside of the courtyard gate.

Inside the courtyard, Laurie took no photos. I probably would have tried, and been disappointed; there's no way anyone could do justice to the statues there. Even on their own webpage, they are diminished, shrunken.

Here's their photo of the "thousand-arm Guan-Yin". To get an idea of the size, the base is about chest-height to me, if I remember correctly. Camphor wood, covered with gold leaf. A thousand hands, so she can help all those who come to her, I have been told. And a thousand eyes, one in each palm. Many faces, looking in every direction; she sees, she knows. So they say, qualifying that with, "... if you believe."

Astounding, overwhelming, yes, but too garish for my tastes. On to look for the jade!

Inside the temple (several buildings, the final one of which had a sign: "Under construction: no entry.") no photo-taking is allowed. Upstairs, in a small shop, there were statuettes of different Buddha and guardian figures for sale, some of them new, some antique, many beautiful. We spent quite a bit of time and some money here.

And there I asked about the jade Guan-Yin. I had not seen her anywhere. "I'm sorry," I was told, "she is in the new Meditation Hall, and it is closed for construction." It will be open sometime in the spring. So we'll be coming back.

Here is a very bad, very small, photo of this statue, taken from the BT website, as she was before the latest move.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger