Wednesday, September 02, 2026

Midnight serenade

It was the middle of the night and I was poking into corners, looking behind and under furniture, searching for a midnight singer. A cricket; he'd been chirping hopefully since dark, announcing to the world, "I'm here, I'm here! Ladies, here I am!"

I wasn't one of the ladies he was dreaming of.

One account records a single cricket chirping 2,640 times without stopping. (DiscoverNatureNotes)

Why, is it, I wondered, that you can never tell where the cricket is by the racket he makes?

Fall Field Cricket, Gryllus pennsylvanicus, male.

Only the males sing. Or "stridulate", a word that feels more appropriate at midnight.

The stridulatory organ is located on the tegmen, or fore wing, which is leathery in texture. A large vein runs along the centre of each tegmen, with comb-like serrations on its edge forming a file-like structure, and at the rear edge of the tegmen is a scraper. The tegmina are held at an angle to the body and rhythmically raised and lowered which causes the scraper on one wing to rasp on the file on the other. The central part of the tegmen contains the "harp", an area of thick, sclerotized membrane which resonates and amplifies the volume of sound, as does the pocket of air between the tegmina and the body wall. (Wikipedia)

Their song seems loud from close up (like when he's under your bed), and is louder on warm nights. A study of this species, (PubMed), measured their chirp at an average of 61.7 decibels, about the level of a dishwasher, or a busy office, with about 2 chirps per second.

And the singers hide in cracks, which amplifies the sound. And then it bounces off every little flat surface around, so that it seems to come from every corner of a midnight bedroom.

I gave up after a long, fruitless search and went back to bed to the serenade of "cree cree cree cree cree ..."

Cricket females have smoother forewings, without the carving that converts them into musical instruments.

Female, last September. Note the long, central ovipositor at the rear.

I just found him tonight, tuning up. Caught him and sent him outside where the ladies are.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Era medianoche y yo andaba investigando rincones, mirando debajo y atrás de los muebles, buscando un cantante nocturno. Un grillo. Había estado cantando, esperanzudo, toda la noche, anunciando al mundo entero, "¡Aquí estoy, aquí estoy! ¡Muchachas, heme aquí!

Yo no era el objeto de su serenata.

Un informe recuenta un solo grillo que emitió 2,640 chirridos sin parar. (DiscoverNatureNotes)

¿Porqué será, me preguntaba, que nunca puedes saber por el chirrido precisamente en donde se esconde el grillo?

     1. Grillo de campo de otoño, Gryllus pennsylvanicus, macho.

Los machos son los que cantan. O mejor dicho, "estridulan", una palabra más apreciada a medianoche.

El órgano estridulatorio se halla en la tegmina, o la ala delantera, la cual tiene la textura de cuero. Una vena grande corre por el centro de cada tegmina, teniendo dientes serrados, en forma de peines en el borde, haciendo una estructura parecida a una lima, y en el borde posterior de la tegmina, hay un raspador. Las tegminas se sostienen a un ángulo respeto al cuerpo y se levantan y se bajan rítmicamente, lo que causa que el raspador de una ala cepille la lima de la otra. La parte central de la tegmina contiene el "arpa", un area de membrana gruesa y esclerotizada, la cual amplifica el volumen del sonido, como también lo hace la bolsa de aire entre la tegmina y el cuerpo. (Wikipedia)

Su canto suena fuerte cuando están cerca (como por ejemplo debajo de tu cama) y es más fuerte en las noches más templadas. Un estudio sobre esta especie, en (PubMed), midió su chirrido, calculando un promedio de 61.7 decibelios, aproximadamente el nivel que produce un lavaplatos, o una oficina activa, produciendo más o menos 2 chirridos por segundo.

Y los cantantes se esconden en grietas, lo que también aumenta el sonido. Y luego rebota de cada pequeña superficie plana, de manera que parece venir de cada esquina de una recámara.

Después de una larga búsqueda, me rendí y regresé a la cama, oyendo la serenata; "cri cri cri cri cri cri ..."

Las alas delanteras de las hembras son más lisas, sin el grabado que las convertiría en instrumentos musicales.

    2. Hembra. El apéndice central al final del abdomen es su ovipositor.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger