Tuesday, May 18, 2021

Zone markers

Every year around this time I go out and take photos of thimbleberry flowers, big white blooms, among the first to brighten the eaves of the forest in the spring. This Sunday afternoon, the highway near Campbell River was all done in thimbleberry white and Scotch broom yellow. But as I drove north, the flowers disappeared. When I stopped near Sayward, 40 km. northwest of home as the crow flies, 20 km. due north, about 20 inland (it's colder away from the shore), all I found were buds. And the buds and stems were trimmed with pink spikes.

Even the long bract extensions are spiky.

With hopeful pollinator, here early.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Cada año por esta temporada, salgo a sacar fotos de las flores de Rubus parviflorus, a las que aquí llamamos baya de dedal, por la forma de las frutas. Las flores son grandes y blancas, y entre las primeras que salen en las orillas de los bosques en primavera.

Este domingo el borde de la carretera cerca de Campbell River estaba decorado profusamente con el blanco de este Rubus, alternando con el amarillo brillante de retama negra. Pero mientras manejaba hacia el norte, desaparecieron las flores. Cuando paré cerca de Sayward, unos 40 km.al noroeste, 20 km. directamente al norte, y aproximadamente otros 20 hacia el interior de la isla (hace más frío alejado del mar), solamente encontré botones.

Y los botones, con todo y tallo, estaban cubiertos de bonitas espinitas color de rosa.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger