Sunday, July 15, 2012

Return to Colony Farm

Colony Farm, along the Coquitlam River, used to be one of our favourite places to walk, before we moved to Delta. We returned this afternoon, after years away; it's as beautiful as ever.

Heading northeast along the Coquitlam River.

The section we walked through this time is mostly open grassland; well-watered bottom land, sun-drenched, fertile, and bursting with life.

The tufted vetch (Vicia cracca) that grows knee-high in our vacant lot reaches chest height here.

Detail. "... dense, 1-sided clusters of 20-50 flowers." (From Pojar & MacKinnon)

The flowers were buzzing with bees, bee mimics, and the inevitable mating soldier beetles.

And a black-and-red Stink Bug, Cosmopepla lintneriana, 5mm. long.

With the flower head he came on, in my collecting bottle.

The rest of the story will wait until tomorrow. I'm stiff and sunburnt and weary and I'm going to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger