Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Warm and bright.

It's pouring rain outside. The wind howls and whistles in the shrubbery and rolls garbage can lids down the street. Leaves fly, paste themselves to my window panes.

Chia, the cat, insists on going out to see if the storm has stopped, then runs in, dripping, to shake herself off on my keyboard and screen and look reproachfully at me. It's all my fault, of course.

I paused this afternoon, to deadhead my petunias. In the rain, but they looked so sad! Even the newest flowers were shredded and drooping. The fall crocuses have fallen over, the geraniums have lost most of their petals. The nasturtiums are trying hard, but they're all spattered with mud.

Now my jacket hangs, dripping, in the shower.

The perfect time to scan my hard drive for forgotten spring flowers!

Hawkweed. A horrible pest, but still beautiful when I stop to look at it.

Teeny-tiny lemon balm flowers. Also a bit of a nuisance; it tends to take over its surroundings. But it makes a good tea or flavoured ice water.

More lemon balm. There's always more lemon balm.

Salmonberry flower. One of the first we'll see next spring.

Small, pale lilac flowers in the Museum garden, with pollinator.

Wild chokecherries. Oyster Bay, a bit later in the year.

What was this doing in the flower file? Little brown mushroom on a log, Tyee Spit.

I feel warmer and dryer, just looking at these. Let it rain!


2 comments:

  1. With the wind blowing a hooley here in Crete, my family battening down for hurricane Opheilia in the UK i thought I'd pop in an see if it was pleasantly autumnal with you in Canada, Oh well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least ours was a normal fall storm, and the sun came out today. I hope things improve on your side of the globe.

    ReplyDelete

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger