Sunday, March 26, 2017

Luscious red

Looks good enough to eat.

Sea noodles, aka Succulent seaweed, Sarcodiotheca gaudichaudii.

When fresh the red string seaweed may be used in salads.  In the Philippines it is made into a sweet desert. (from Puget Sound Sea Life)

I found a generous helping of this last October, but it looked shop-worn, and I didn't taste it. And this time, there was so little of it, I didn't want to deprive the shore critters, so I still haven't tried it. Next time. I wonder if there's a recipe for the dessert.

Red, green, brown. All green shore crabs, Hemigrapsus oregonensis.

I like the red eyes of the centre crab. I feel a sort of kinship with her: she's an insomniac, like me, maybe?

2 comments:

  1. Those green shore crabs really are a diverse coloured group!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I eat this stuff right off the beach all the time, while walking. It's delicious raw; mild of flavour, with an unchallenging texture.

    Thanks for the post!

    Robin
    Rusty Ring: Reflections of an Old-Timey Hermit

    ReplyDelete

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger