Saturday, April 09, 2016

Green-backed hummer

The dawn chorus starts well before first light in Mazatlan. While it's still dark, an early bird starts calling out his koo-koo-roo-koo-koo at precisely marked intervals; he, or his companions, will keep it up all morning. As the sky clears, others join him with a medley of clicks, whistles, peeps, and sleepy mutterings.

From my upstairs window in the hostel, I can see them bouncing through the bougainvillea, brown sparrows and yellow-breasted birds, and blue-black grackles. A blue-green hummingbird darts from flower to flower; I can never quite get the camera in position before he's gone on to the next branch.

I met one later, down on the street, too busy with tubes full of nectar to notice me a few feet away.

I think this may be a female Ruby-throated hummer. Green back, white spot behind eye, black tail with white tip.

Her beak is slightly down-curved. She inserts it deeply into the ripe flowers, the ones with ragged tips. 

She has a bit of dead plant material stuck to one foot. It doesn't seem to slow her down.



1 comment:

  1. Beautiful!! These are such great pictures of the hummingbird - they are notoriously difficult to photograph. Here in South Florida we get the Ruby Throated hummingbirds in winter. We also have Grackles and sparrows. I won't tell the hummers we get about those gorgeous yellow flowers in Mexico or we won't see them again next year!!

    ReplyDelete

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger