Monday, August 19, 2013

Birding Boundary Park

Just down the hill from us, there is a little park that we somehow have forgotten to visit. We remedied that this week.

Boundary Park, so called, I think, because it's on the boundary between Surrey and Delta, is a rather tame place, at first glance. A tiny lake, almost circular, well fenced, with a paved pathway all around it. The lawn is mowed, the weeds kept in check. A place to take the kids with their tricycles, or to sit on a bench and watch ducks. We walked quickly; the walkway lies in full sun, and this was a hot afternoon.

But beyond the lake, the park slopes upward, into a meandering green space between housing developments, heavily treed, partly wild, partly tamed. Here we wandered, dodging spider webs, appreciating the shade.

And everywhere, there were birds:

Crow on a rock

Mallards on a rock

Ducks without rocks

Rock without birds

Near this rock under the evergreens, we saw a pileated woodpecker. It wound around and around the trunk of a cottonwood, always disappearing just as the camera focused. I got one very bad, very small photo.

I don't think I've seen one of these around here before.

And there was a seriously endangered star-winged jay:

A backyard bird, very tame.

And not so tame:

Young heron frogging by the lake. Not very happy with us.

More park photos tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous3:33 pm

    Looks like a great place to explore.

    ReplyDelete

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger