Thursday, April 05, 2012

Pink!

At the corner of 6th and 6th in New Westminster, the city has planted a few magnolia trees. New West sits on a steep hill, looking down onto the river; 6th and 6th is at the top of the south slope, protected from north winds, soaking up more than its share of sunlight, and soothed by the warm air rising from the gardens below. Gardens grow well on this hill, and the magnolias are thriving.

Every spring, when our local magnolia buds are still closed up in their wooly jackets, the trees at 6th and 6th are blooming enthusiastically. We were shopping there last week, so I stopped to take a few photos.

Looking north; the mirrored windows of the building probably increase the greenhouse effect.

Most of the flowers were well over my head.

Looking south, against a cloudy sky.


Next week, the edge of the sidewalk will be covered with pink petals.

Our turn will come eventually.



1 comment:

  1. We have a few magnolia trees across the street from Mom's condo. I saw this morning that the buds were just about ready to open. They may be short lived, but oh, so beautiful. - Margy

    ReplyDelete

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger