Saturday, July 17, 2010

July colours

At the last house along Crescent Beach, a lane leads to where we've parked the car. We always stop to look at the flowers growing by the gate, half wild, half more or less tame. Here's yesterday's crop:


Tansy. I never noticed before how the buds look varnished.


Buddleia, butterfly bush. This one towers far overhead. I didn't see any butterflies.

.
Hollyhock. These were my mother's favourite. She said that when she was a little girl, she made princess dolls out of them.


Roses, with a meddling tansy leaf getting in the way. Tansy or no tansy, I love that deep pink.


Teasels, about 8 feet tall. The flowers bloom in a ring that moves from the bottom to the top as they mature.


The flower heads are as spiny and tough as the stems. Even the leaves have sharp thorns.


Burdock. Lots of grabby burrs on the way. If it were not so determined to take over our gardens, we would think it attractive.

What we found on the beach itself will wait until tomorrow.

3 comments:

  1. I am so proud of myself - I actually KNOW all of these flowers! Even the dreaded tansy. It is considered an invasive and noxious weed here, so I pull them out whenever I see them.

    Hmmmmmm can't wait for tomorrow to see what you found!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you ever look a the Buddleia by night - wonderful for attracting moths, especially noctuids and hawks moths

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know that about the Buddleia. I'll have to find one close to home and go back to visit it after dark.

    ReplyDelete

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger